Creating a Spa
What an opportunity! The homeowners wanted a Spa for themselves and their frequent guests to enjoy. We wanted to create the feeling of an excursion to the calming atmosphere of a Spa. The Lodge had a detached structure connected by a breezeway, making it the ideal location for this modern Spa.
Imagine an indoor pool equipped for resistance swimming, a treadmill, and seats with whirlpool jets. A complete workout is possible! The TV can be viewed from the pool, or one can enjoy the extensive sound system. A retractable cover and a dehumidifier keep the Spa humidity level below 55%.
The new bay holds the juice bar, which is hiding refrigerator/freezer drawers and a dishwasher. After a good workout in the pool, one can relax with juice, frozen yogurt, etc.
The Spa lounging area is designed to have enough space for a massage table, which folds to store in the cabinet to the left of the pool. All cabinets have hand carved wooden handles and are faux painted.
The Spa Bath, with curved glass, curved walls, a vanity made from a single slab of honed black granite, and angled window nook, is an oasis of pleasure. Guests relax on the granite seat in the steam shower, listen to music, and enjoy the digital system that controls the water features: body sprays, shower head, handheld, and steam.
Design & Function
• An indoor pool equipped for resistance swimming, a treadmill, and seats with whirlpool jets.
• An extensive sound system and TV that can be enjoyed from the pool or the lounging areas.
• A retractable pool cover and a dehumidifier to keep the Spa humidity level below 50%.
Spa Lounging Areas Aesthetics & Features
• The tile on the curved wall was designed in a pattern that simplified the install & accented the curve.
• This tile wall is whimsically highlighted by hanging “bocce” balls for lighting at various heights.
• The pool is centrally located under the gables’ dramatic glass with niches & cabinets on each side.
• The cabinets to the left and right of the pool emphasize this symmetry. They contain candles, towels, pool supplies, a folding massage table, and a microwave – for warming the towels.
• The new bay addition houses the juice bar, which has refrigerator/freezer drawers and a dishwasher.
• It has a high efficiency split system heat pump, tankless water heaters & spray foam insulation.
Spa Bath Features
• The shower is controlled by a DTV system, a digital thermostatic valve, which is an electronic component that regulates the functions of the shower, such as, the temperature, the volume, the steam unit, lights, body sprays (4), and shower heads (2). The shower has a seat and piped in music.
• It has a dual flush commode, curbless shower, one-piece granite pedestal, and hanging sconces.
• The design of the tile walls combines the calming natural slate gray with the sparkle of glass tiles.
Handcrafted Homes, Inc. won the following awards for this project:
- 2012 NARI National, Green Project Recognition
- 2011 NARI Atlanta, Entire House Over $1 Million
- 2011 Earthcraft Renovation, Project Team of the Year